Back To Gallery: Landmarks
Andrew J. O’Conor, III House
736 Chapel Street Gallery: Landmarks Description: The house at 736 Chapel Street, the most pristine example of the Dutch Colonial Revival style was originally built in 1848 as an Italianate for Henry Green, the original developer of the Ottawa’s East Side. In 1922, Andrew J. O’Conor III commissioned Ottawa native and architect Norman W. Cook to re-design the house into its present form. Cook seamlessly integrated the elements of the Dutch Colonial style—the side gambrel roof with cornice returns, the Classical entry porch with segmental arch roof and round columns, the dormers topped with triangular pediments—onto the existing structure. The house remains essentially as it was when it was transformed in 1922; it has individually listed to the National Register in 1993.