Street Commissioner James Less has announced that Ottawa’s city-wide leaf vacuuming program is expected to begin Monday, November 5, 2018.
The first section (W-1) scheduled on the Northside will be streets north of Norris Drive and west of Columbus. The first section (S-1) on the Southside will be streets south of Gentleman Road and east of State Street. Workers will proceed to each section in the order shown on the City’s Leaf-Vac Schedule map. As the City does not know in advance the amount of leaves and time each section will take, residents are asked to have their leaves raked to the berms well in advance of the vac-units coming to their sections/neighborhoods.
Residents are reminded of the following:
- All vacuuming work to remove leaves from berms is dependent on the weather and equipment. For prompt disposal, residents are encouraged to use the waste dumpsters located in the 400 block of W. Jackson Street. They are available seven days a week from dawn to dusk until approximately December 3.
- Rake leaves to the berm but NOT into the streets. Placing leaves or lawn debris into streets is a violation of City Ordinance.
- Piles should be leaves only. Vac units cannot handle branches or twigs.
- City workers do not “skip” piles and they will not come back to get leaves that have been raked out after the vac-units have passed by.
- Units cannot reach around vehicles parked on the street.
- The City plans to make only 2 rounds in each section. The vacuuming is expected to be finished by the end of November, weather permitting.
- As a friendly reminder, plastic bags are prohibited in the yard waste dumpsters and at the dumpster site